Welcome to Koghb
About the Village
Koghb, historically, was the administrative center of the Koghbapor province in the Gugark region (Pavstos Buzand, Movses Khorenatsi – “History of Armenia” 387). Archeological excavations have shown that the village has been occupied since prehistoric times. The history of Kohbapor is so rich that there are still traces of pagan structures. Koghb had monasteries, sanctuaries, and churches. The best preserved is Mshkavank, built from the 10th to 13th centuries.
The first rural economic collective in Koghb was HPS, a sawmill. The first hospital in Koghb was founded in 1921 and an experimental forestry was founded in 1922.
In 1928 a school building was established, replacing the earlier parochial school in Koghb. After this school, lessons were taught in private homes. The sciences and education in the village has always been strong.
Koghb has a population of approximately 5100 people. There are two kindergartens, two secondary schools, two libraries, a cultural center, and a music school. Also located in Koghb: the Noyemberyan forestry, Zikatar (the Caucuses Regional Forest Training Center), the N th Regiment, and additional production, NGO, and other organizations. The local Koghb authorities especially committed to solving youth issues and promoting sports and culture in the community.
Koghb is the birth place of many famous people who have contributed to the development of the country in several sectors and in the defense of the country as well; all are proud of the contributions made by those from Koghb. A great deal of respect is given towards the hero of World War II Jahan Karakhanyan, all others who gave their lives in service to their homeland.
In Koghb, the naturally setting is uniquely beautiful. There are many people who have truly embodied what it is to be called “Armenian”.